Bitcore v5 and Bcoin

(Nick Black) #1

Bitcoin is moving very quickly at the moment. I’m in the middle of doing research for a new and large project and looking and various options for a web service that is required to work with bitcoin with a nodejs backend (an enterprise service).

We implemented some prototypes using earlier Bitcore versions running a full node and it all seemed simple enough - but with v5 coming up we noticed the backend is now using Bcoin

We are also very interested in the Bcoin project - if we’re doing nothing more than accepting payments, signing and sending transactions and running a few wallets what would the benefits of Bitcore on Bcoin be?

As far as I understand so far - in our situation we might not require the entire Bitcore layer, as we aren’t really interested in running a user-facing API or wallet service. Would this be right? Is there anything else we’re missing in terms of what Bitcore is adding to Bcoin?

(Chris Rico) #2

Here’s my understanding, and could totally be wrong because there isn’t a lot of information yet…

It used to be that Bitcore was tightly integrated into a patched version of Bitcoin Core. It would build these binaries or download them from Bitpay.

Now, Bitcore uses Bcoin to be a real Bitcoin P2P node. You then connect it to a full node of your choice (Bitcoin Core, btc1, Bitcoin ABC, etc) for block storage. This is where I get hazy though, does the Bcoin node store all the block data a second time, or does it just store the extra indexes? I’m not sure and I’m not sure how to find out.

(Nick Black) #3

I’m not even sure if there are extra indices any longer. It used to be you’d run bitcore to get the UTXO and address indices - but they’re now in bcoin (it indexes and can persist chainstate, utxo and mempool).

I stepped through the API - and so far I haven’t found anything that we would gain from running Bitcore ontop of Bcoin in our situation. We’re still running them side by side tho - (both stable and v5 version of bitcore)